ASGI UPDATE: July 28, 2009
ASTM Publishes New Standard for Lead (Pb) In Synthetic Turf Fibers and Finished Yarns
It’s official and you can purchase your own license of the newly published ASTM standard online at the ASTM website here: ($32 for individual license)
1.1 This specification applies to the maximum content of lead in fibers used in synthetic turf.
1.1.1 This specification outlines a test method for sample preparation and a test method for analyzing the total lead content in synthetic turf fibers.
1.1.2 This specification outlines guidelines for reporting total lead content in synthetic turf fibers.
1.2 This specification applies only to synthetic turf fibers manufactured after Sept. 1, 2009.
Note 1—It is the goal of the industry to reduce lead content to 100 mg/kg (ppm) by Sept. 1, 2011.
1.3 The values stated in SI units are to be regarded as standard. No other units of measurement are included in this standard.
1.4 This standard does not purport to address all of the safety concerns, if any, associated with its use. It is the responsibility of the user of this standard to establish appropriate safety and health practices and determine the applicability of regulatory limitations prior to use.
lead; synthetic turf; synthetic turf fibers
- “Lead-Free” Artificial Turf Yarn Spin-Sell
Frustrating and Confusing “Last year, it was all about too much lead in...
- Artificial Turf, Lead & SBR Crumb Rubber Issues: “Playing Catch-up on Synthetic Fields” Home International SportsNotes Playing Catch-up on Synthetic Fields May 13,...
- ASTM Standard Specification for Surface Materials in Playgrounds ASTM F1292-04 Standard Specification for Impact Attenuation of Surfacing Materials...
- Synthetic Turf Council Statement to CPSC re: Lead Use In Artificial Turf Market Abstract: Dr. Eddy Bresnitz, Deputy Commissioner and State Epidemiologist,...
- Critical Compliance Date for Lead (Pb),
Childrens Products and the CPSIA 11 Days from Today US Manufacturers, Importers and the Consumer...