Thiolon Grass – TenCate: Worldwide:
31 July 2008
TenCate announces that it has discontinued the use of lead in its Thiolon Grass artificial turf products ahead of voluntary standards called for by the US Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC).
Following earlier publicity around lead present in some artificial turf, the US Consumer Products Safety Commission (CPSC) released a statement yesterday that all artificial turf is safe to play on. The CPSC states that there is no health risk to young children playing on synthetic fields and that parents should not be concerned about harmful levels of lead in artificial turf. TenCate applauds the statement by the CPSC. Earlier, TenCate released statements to the same effect.
The CPSC based its statements on investigations of several fields, new and old. While the exposure in all cases was below the critical level of 15 microgram/day, the CPSC is calling for voluntary industry standards to preclude the use of lead in future products. See the CPSC statement at http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml08/08348.html
Ahead of this call by the US CPSC, TenCate has taken the initiative and completely discontinued the use of lead and other heavy metals in the manufacture of its Thiolon Grass yarn materials for synthetic turf surfaces.
For years, the vast majority of TenCate turf products have been “heavy metal free”, meaning that no lead or other heavy metals are added at any stage of the production process. For a small volume of products, lead chromate was used to make bright colored products with excellent UV resistance.
With its initiative, TenCate warrants that all of its products produced currently conform to the critical German LAGA norm for heavy metal content and the DIN 18035-7 standard for leaching of heavy metals.
TenCate is the leading supplier of artificial turf components to major artificial turf companies around the world and with its initiative strengthens an unparalleled tradition of leadership through innovation.
The use of artificial turf increases the performance of athletes and reduces the risk of injuries to the player. The installation of TenCate artificial turf eliminates the use of harmful pesticides, fertilizers, herbicides and fungicides. Artificial turf requires no mowing, fertilizing, reseeding or watering.
- Lead in New PE and PP Yarn Fibers – No Different Than Lead Found in New Nylon Yarns Dyes, Coatings, Pigments and Colorants come from all sorts of...
- CPSC Finds Artificial Grass – Synthetic Turf Fields OK to Install, OK to Play On WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC)...
- Artificial Turf Easily Tested for Lead & Heavy Metals with Home Kits & Portable Tools We are all a bit sensitive about lead these days...
- Feds Say No Risk to Kids on Fields Feds: No risk to children from synthetic fields By TOM...
- Encapsulated Lead or Just Plain Lead – Only ONE of these can easily harm you The form in which lead and other heavy metals are...