Original post and source:
WATER: Artificial turf rebate reinstated
Study dispels fears of lead contamination
By BRADLEY J. FIKES – Staff Writer | Monday, August 4, 2008 6:12 PM PDT
A rebate program for replacing natural lawns with artificial turf has been
reinstated by the region’s main water supplier, the San Diego County Water
The authority suspended the program in June because of safety concerns, but
those have been resolved, it said Monday. Other local water districts that
had likewise suspended their programs are expected to follow suit.
Water agencies in the county and elsewhere see eliminating thirsty natural
grass as a relatively painless way to reduce water consumption as California
copes with drought.
Homeowners and public agencies get rebates of varying amounts per square
foot for installing the synthetic turf. The authority offers 50 cents a
square foot for residential customers and 75 cents a square foot for public
entities. Local water districts can add more on top of that.
The city of Poway’s reinstated offer provides a total of $1 per square foot,
including rebates from the authority.
Artificial turf has become more realistic with newer varieties of grass-like
green vinyl strands that are softer than older turf and cushioned with
minced rubber from chopped-up automobile tires. These newer varieties cost
from $6 to $10 per square foot, and can last 10 years or longer.
Concerns about lead contamination of artificial turf in New Jersey led to
the halt in the rebates on June 26. However, those worries were rebutted in
a July 30 report from the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission.
The report indicated that newer fields either had no lead or generally had
the lowest lead levels. None of the fields tested released enough lead to be
harmful to children.
Moreover, rebate applications will be accepted retroactively to the
suspension date of June 26.
Contact staff writer Bradley J. Fikes at (760) 739-6641 or
- Artificial Turf Rebates – Poway, San Diego County, California Poway California – Considering Rebates for Artificial Turf to Save...
- LA County Approves <br>Artificial Turf as Water Savings Device<br>Offers Rebates Facing the possibility of more dry years to come and...
- Synthetic Turf Voted as Solution By Water District Leadership Encinitas Mayor James Bond, a member of the Water Authority...
- Artificial Grass Rebates, Southern Nevada Water Authority The Water Smart Landscapes rebate helps property owners convert water-thirsty...
- Artificial Turf Installer Association Encouraged By Demands for CPSC & EPA Assessment of Health, Safety & Environmental Concerns The CPSC & EPA announced their participation in assessments of...