James M. Faria and
A patent for Astroturf was filed for on December 25, 1965 and issued by the
A Brief Timeline
1950s: The Ford Foundation studied ways to improve the physical fitness of young people. They observed that rural folks were more active and fit
Late 1950s: The Chemstrand Company, a subsidiary of Monsanto Industries were developing new synthetic fibers for use in carpeting. Monsanto was encouraging the use of carpets in schools in conjunction with the Ford Foundation’s Educational Facilities Laboratory, headed by Dr. Harold Gores.
Dr. Gores suggested that Chemstrand develop the perfect urban playing surface, Gores knew about both the Chemstrand synthetic fiber research and the Ford fitness studies.
1962 – 1966: The Creative Products Group, part of Chemstrand’s research organization worked on creating the new playing surface. The surface was tested for foot traction and cushioning, weather drainage, flammability and wear resistance.
1964: The Creative Products Group installs a synthetic turf called Chemgrass at the Moses Brown School in Providence Rhode Island.
This was the first large-scale installation of a synthetic turf.
1965: Judge Roy Hofheinz builds the AstroDome in Houston, Texas. Hofheinz consults Monsanto about replacing the natural grass with a new synthetic playing surface.
1966: The Houston Astros’ baseball season begins on a Chemgrass surface now renamed Astroturf at the AstroDome.
Fall 1966: The Houston Oilers’ AFL football season begins on more than 125,000 square feet of removable artificial turf (AstroDome).
1967: Indiana State University Stadium, in Terre Haute, Indiana becomes the first outdoor stadium installed with artificial turf.
1967: Artificial turf is patented (U.S. patent #3332828)
A patent for “monofilament ribbon file product” was issued to Wright and Faria, of Monsanto Industries.
From here, others have followed, bringing their own brand names and solutions into the market.
- Health Officials Say [Artificial] Turf Not Health Risk By Jennifer Connic A group of parents has expressed concerns...
- Artificial Turf Fields, Health Questions: Connecticut Dept Public Health Report Connecticut Department of Public Health Environmental & Occupational Health Assessment...
- No Artificial Turf Battle In Oregon News-Times – Forest Grove,OR,USA There, a group of administrators, aided...
- Why “Lead” in Today’s Artificial Turf Yarns Can’t Harm You – Video of NYC Press Conference 5-05-08 Astroturf and General Sports Venue (GSV), their exclusive distributor here...
- 2 Artificial Grass Fields are added in Vancouver, BC Vancouver Sun – British Columbia, Canada BURNABY – Two new...