SACRAMENTO, Calif. (Legal Newsline)-California Attorney General Jerry Brown was asked Monday to determine whether artificial turf fields should have lead warning signs to comply with a state law.
The request was made by state Sen. Abel Maldonado, R-Santa Maria.
He has introduced legislation that would have state health officials investigate the safety and environmental effects of synthetic playing fields.
The special ground cover is gaining popularity because, among other things, it requires less maintenance and water.
But the turf made of polyethylene has been found to contain low or undetectable levels of lead.
[ ed note: this "undetectable level of lead" is from trace amounts of encapsulated lead chromate (hex), used as a yellow pigment in the formulation of the green color used so commonly for artificial turf surfaces.
Polyethylene, Polypropylene and Nylon yarn colorants and some additives, such as ultra violet (UV) stabilizers, can be formulated using the encapsulated lead chromate which binds tightly to the fiber molecule, making it next to improbable to become bio-available ( able to be absorbed, inhaled or ingested - even under extreme conditions and blade wear).
"Encapsulated lead chromate pigments do not release lead or chromium to the blood ... Risks [normally] attributed to LEAD [toxicity] is dramatically reduce whenever encapsulated pigments are used.” Stanley M. Pier, et al. Environment Toxicology and Chemistry, Vol 10, pp 1247-1253, 1991 – Silica Encapsulation Reduces Bioavailability
Maldonado wants to know whether the field operators must post warning signs to comply with Proposition 65, the 1986 voter-approved state law that requires public notice of the presence of chemicals known to cause cancer or birth defects.
- State of New York Gives Mixed Signals Over Use of Artificial Turf Athletic Turf Magazine – Cleveland,OH,USA The city already has about...
- ADA Compliance – California For More Information on California ADA Compliance – Please Visit:...
- ADA Compliance – USA – United States For More ADA Compliance Information and Resources for the US:...
- Popular Artificial & Synthetic Turf Fibers Tested for Lead & Heavy Metals Recent news reports about the possible existence of lead in...
- YOU Can Easily Test Artificial Turf for Heavy Metals & other Contaminants Several chemical tests are used to measure the total amount...